Prince Harry and Meghan Markle clashed with palace advisers a year before leaving their royal duties, contradicting a recent bombshell interview that they had no plan in place in the lead up to Megxit.
“There was a constant dialogue from the couple along the lines of: ‘Why can’t we do this? You can’t stop us from doing what we want to do’,’” sources told The Telegraph Saturday.
At the beginning of 2019, the couple was already planning their exit from royal duties, finalizing a deal to produce content for Quibi, a now-defunct video streaming service that was poised to rival YouTube, The Post first reported last year. Prince Harry announced their intention to step down from royal duties in an Instagram post on January 8, 2020.
“They were calling the shots and would be the ones instructing the press office on what line to put out,” the Telegraph reported.
The report contradicts the couple’s comments in a bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this month that they “didn’t have a plan” when they left the royal family.
“The Netflix and the Spotify [deals]… that was never part of the plan,” Prince Harry told Winfrey. “We didn’t have a plan. That was suggested by somebody else by the point of where my family literally cut me off financially, and I had to afford… security for us.”
The couple signed a multi-million dollar agreement with Netflix last September.
In addition to their behind-the-scenes planning during their time at the palace, Markle kept in regular communication with a group of close advisers in Los Angles even after she married into the royal family in 2018. That group included her lawyer Rick Genow, business manager Andrew Meyer and talent agent Nick Collins, according to reports. The Telegraph also reported that Markle relied on Keleigh Thomas Morgan of PR firm Sunshine Sachs, who helped the couple with their first charity, Sussex Royal.