The former ABC reality star, who came out as gay on Wednesday, addressed his tumultuous ‘Bachelor’ relationship in his extended interview with Robin Roberts.
When Colton Underwood sat down with ABC News’ Robin Roberts for his coming-out interview, the former Bachelor star also addressed in more detail his relationship with ex-girlfriend Cassie Randolph, the winner of his 2019 season on the ABC reality dating franchise, and said he hasn’t spoken to her about being gay.
Following the portions of the pretaped interview that aired on Good Morning America, ABC News’ Nightline featured more from Underwood and Roberts’ conversation on Wednesday night. As part of the package, Roberts noted that Underwood and Randolph’s volatile relationship ended last year and included Randolph dropping a restraining order against the Bachelor star.
“I don’t know if I ever will get the chance to sit down and talk with her,” Underwood told Roberts when asked if he had spoken to her before coming out. “I would like to. I would like to say sorry for how things ended. And I messed up. I made a lot of bad choices.”
He continued, “I made mistakes in the end of that relationship. And I ruined the good memories we had by my actions and what I did to hold on to being straight, because I didn’t want to look myself in the mirror. So for that, I’m extremely, extremely sorry.”
Randolph has not commented since Underwood’s interview. (The Hollywood Reporter has reached out to Randolph and Underwood for comment.)
After their dramatic Bachelor courtship, Underwood and Randolph found themselves back in headline news over their breakup. Shortly after he recovered from COVID-19 at the height of the pandemic, Underwood and Randolph announced they had parted ways in May 2020 after a year of dating. The uncoupled pair would go on to share their sides on social media amid what became a public fallout.
In September, Randolph filed restraining orders against Underwood over alleged harassment and stalking; she dropped them in November. According to the police report obtained by People, Randolph claimed Underwood put a tracking device on her car. “Cassie asked the court to dismiss the temporary restraining order against me. The two of us were able to reach a private agreement to address any of Cassie’s concerns,” Underwood said in a statement at the time.
During his revealing sit-down with Roberts, Underwood said it wasn’t until this year that he truly processed his sexuality after finding himself in what he described as a dark place. “There was a moment in L.A. that I woke up and I didn’t think I was going to wake up. I didn’t have the intentions of waking up. And I did. And for me, I think that was my wake-up call of, ‘This is your life. Take back control,'” he shared of previously having suicidal thoughts.
Now, in going public with his truth, he shared, “I don’t feel that anymore.”
He also apologized to Randolph in saying, “I’m sorry for the pain and emotional stress I caused. I wish it wouldn’t have happened the way it did. I wish that I would have been courageous enough to fix myself before I broke anybody else.”
As THR previously reported, Underwood is now filming a reality show for Netflix that will focus on the former NFL player living his life publicly as a gay man. In response to his interview, the Bachelor executive producers were among his many supporters. “We celebrate Colton’s journey in the LGBTQIA+ community every step of the way,” they said in a statement on Wednesday.
Underwood also looked ahead to what’s to come when speaking to Roberts. “I get to breathe. I get to take all this weight off my back and my shoulders, and I get to publicly and outwardly be happy and be me — all of me,” he said in another moment that aired on Nightline.
Watch the full ABC News interview with Underwood here.